Arcane University:Main Page
The Arcane University is a cross-province initiative of the Beyond Skyrim project.
It aims to provide teaching and support to all members and applicants to help them to acquire, expand or improve their skillset needed to contribute to the project. If a person wants to help out the Beyond Skyrim project but feels that they do not yet possess the required skill level, they can go to the Arcane University for tutorials, help with technical problems, and feedback.
The tutorials of the Arcane University are made to support you to become a qualified developer or artist and join our community. About 20 teachers will help you personally if you are motivated to become a developer for our Skyrim mod projects! You find the link to our Discord server below.
- 3D Art
- Concept Art
- Level Design
- Music Composition
- Project Management
- Sound Effects
- Voice Acting
The Arcane University is led by a 3-person tribunal (triumvirate). There are also a number of teachers whom the students can ask for feedback or help, as well as their fellow students. Most teachers will have a specialization in one of the disciplines into which the Arcane University is split. Teachers and members of the Triumvirate can be found on the Staff page.
Most of the learning within the Arcane University is self-study. There are a number of tutorials and/or lesson plans available, depending on the discipline. Students can follow these and post their work for feedback.
The Teacher Role
The purpose is to give teachers a description of expectations set on their role, an assurance that the workload is doable, and that they can easily evaluate if they are qualified to join the ranks.
Teachers are expected to:
- Understand basic workflows of their departments;
- Explain these workflows and/or link to existing tutorials and our wiki;
- Evaluate the students handed in work regarding their department up to their best knowledge, but note that the evaluation can and will differ between people;
- Do some basic channel moderation when they see serious issues;
- Support the wiki/tutorials if they feel like.
Teachers are not expected to:
- Answer every student in persona (evaluations can be split over the teacher board)
- Respond to every message and question
- Work on AU tutorials and Wiki (this is optional and will always remain optional)
- Be the best of their trade (that is not possible, and evaluation of work quality differs)
- Moderate every discussion (that is not their job)
The Students Role
The purpose is to give students a general understanding of what we expect them when joining here.
Students are expected to:
- Have the general will to work in BS or another Skyrim modding team to use the acquired skills for our community as a whole;
- Show some life signs and progress every year;
- behave nice and respectful;
- treat confidential information, especially personal information of others appropriately.